Friday, December 30, 2011

Ten Years of Mexico!


      As I was walking along the hotel-lined sea wall (the malecón) in Mazatlán, Mexico, watching the sun crash magnificently into the Pacific Ocean something occurred to me.  Ten years ago, when I was a wided-eyed twenty year old youngster on my first trip through Mexico, I witnessed the very same scene in the exact same spot.  I remember it clearly--one of those moments when you say to yourself, "I am going to remember this forever."  I  snapped a picture of the sunset with my disposable camera right before hopping on an overnight bus to head deeper into unknown Mexico.  Little did I know what an effect Mexico would have on my life.
(not the photo I took, but similar!)
         My Mexican friends I work with now jokingly call me a Mexican and most people that know me well, know that if I am in charge of the I-pod they are going to be listening to a Cumbia.  Truthfully, I don´t know why I have such a fascination with the Mexican culture.  It doesn´t make sense. But It isn´t going to change or go away.  I will never be completely fluent at Mexican Spanish nor know everything about Mexican culture, nor do I strive for that imposability.  All I know is that somehow my blood was mixed with limones and sal and in some way my life´s works involves our wonderful Southern neighbor.  Viva Mexico and thanks!



         
          

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and thanks for reading.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home